Saturday, August 11, 2012

Progress (or, rather, lack thereof)

Holy dairy cows, the past couple weeks (read: two months) have been crazy.

I went through the whole moving process - that took about a month total of looking for a place, signing a lease, packing, moving, and now we're still in the process of settling in. I've given up two hours of my days to driving back and forth from work which is just fun.  

And I'm still struggling to write. I've been journaling a lot more... though not in my usual detail or with any of my usual - a-hem - flair. And obviously I've been neglectful of this blog (as well as two others). It's an uphill battle as they say.

At least I'm up in New Hampshire for the weekend. Wonderful family times can't be beat. Good for recharging, etc. I need it after this week in particular. I got stung by a bee for the first time in about twenty years. No anaphylactic shock, but my finger did swell up to a glorious size for three days. Cue me going into a Benadryl induced coma and losing a bunch of time. No writing. No working. No exercise. Zero progress - unless you count healing insect damage.

My motivation for everything in still high, though I feel pretty frustrated. I've been quite good about keeping my food and fitness journal (it's a Star Wars moleskine that I titled "How to Become a Jedi Like Luke Skywalker"). I've been writing something... almost every day. Even when it's only 100 words. And I've been thinking about my writing almost non-stop. I pulled out a couple of old books: How to Write A Damn Good Novel by James Frey and Bird By Bird by Annie Lamott.




They both, of course, have sections addressing the problem of writer's block. Typical stuff, but good to hear. It happens to everyone, blah blah. Don't let it stop you, blah blah. If you're a writer, you'll figure out a a way through it, blah blah. Mostly it's a matter of hitting your head on the keyboard until something falls out.

Anyway, that's what's up with me for now. What up with all of you? Any of you who stop by and read this at point or another, that is....

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're making some progress. I've hit an awful block in The Metawars, where I KNOW I have to make massive changes to it but I don't want to right now, so I just end up thinking about writing instead of actually writing. Yeesh. Plus there's still fidgety little plot holes to work out. It's a mess.

    Is the new home working out?

    If you want, we (as in you, me and Micah) should do scene exchanges. I've done them with Micah and they're lots of fun. Might be nice to write someone else's characters and world for a few pages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scene exchanges could be kind of fun. (This comment didn't show up because I have my comments set on me having to approve them before they get published!)

    New home is good.... I think my head feels like the mess that exists in the new place now though. I don't have my desk set up yet - and Jared just pointed out that I didn't unpack any of my foxes... I'm not terribly superstitious, but maybe that is actually part of my problem. I usually have a fox in every room of the house and right now I have nuthin'.

    ReplyDelete