Thursday, October 14, 2010

BTT: Rewrite

If you could rewrite the ending of any book, which book would it be? And how would you change it?

I'm always afraid that when I get published people are going to cite my books in answer to this. 0.o

Honestly, the idea of rewriting book endings seems anathema to me. But I'm a writer, and also obsessed with the process of writing. Movie endings - sure. That I could easily answer (the entire Star Wars prequel series to name one).

In general, I suppose I'll just say that I am in favor of bittersweet endings. Happy endings are usually too convenient. Blatantly unhappy endings leave me feeling unsatisfied. But endings that combine both happiness and misery are my favorite. I feel drained - but in a good way.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, bittersweet is probably my favorite ending, too. But when I was younger, I was always hoping for a happy ending, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind happy endings as long as the ending is not contrived.

    here is mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on this! Somehow writers tend to go with happy endings both to be convenient or a way to satisfy their reader. That's my opinion but I occasionally enjoy happy endings.

    ReplyDelete