Saturday, May 18, 2013

Love is blindness -

I am obsessed with the soundtrack to Baz Luhrman's The Great Gatsby. I knew I would be before it was ever released because Baz is my favorite film director of all time (Moulin Rouge is always number one or two in my favorite movie list and his version of Romeo and Juliet is probably in the top ten) and he uses the most amazing music in his movies. When I saw the first trailer for The Great Gatsby with its opening notes of "No Church in the Wild" by Jay-Z and Kanye West playing over roaring 20s images of flappers and alcohol and fast cars, I almost died. I really think if Fitzgerald were alive today, he would've appreciated this take on his story with its crazy modern music, anachronistic costuming, and constant assault of color and emotion.

Right now, this is my favorite song from the soundtrack. Baz always introduces me to great music I had no idea existed. I love Jack White's version of this song, but I did not know it was a U2 song:

U2


Jack White


To no one's surprise, I like both versions equally. Bono's tragic, melodramatic version just as well as Jack's charged, primal screaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment