Friday, March 14, 2014

Booking Through Thursday - The Purpose of Reading

What is the true purpose of reading...?
And so … this, right here, pretty much explains exactly WHY I like reading so much. Yes, it’s fun and entertaining and diverting, and all that, but ultimately, it TEACHES me things. It broadens my horizons and makes me look at ideas and people and life in general in new and interesting ways. Isn’t that what reading and art in general is SUPPOSED to do? How do you feel about this? Do you agree? Disagree? Discuss!

This will be short and sweet.

I'm going to answer this by saying I don't disagree, but "broadening my horizons" is not the main reason that I read. The vast majority of the time that I pick up a book, I'm looking for escapism, pure and simple. Most of the books I am writing were also born of this desire.

I do read non-fiction when I want to learn something. And I do imbue my novels with themes that might one day help to broaden someone's horizons of thought. But those are not the first things I think about when I think about reading and why I love it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. Escapism is the first thing I'm looking for when I grab a book off the shelf. Yes, horizons should be broadened regularly, but escape is just so much fun! Good luck with your #WriteMotivation goals this month!

    ReplyDelete