Wednesday, April 30, 2014

April Is For Winning!

Behold! My first Camp NaNoWriMo win!


I'm pretty proud of myself this month. Not only because I set myself a reasonable word count goal and met it, but because I took the opportunity to truly commit myself to writing. I have done little else for the past three weeks other than writing. (And cooking and cleaning - sort of.)

I also finished reading TEN books. Granted, two of them were comic strip collections, but still. It was a lot of reading.

Grave of the Goddess is officially over 100,000 words now. I am so very close to finishing it. My poor, bedraggled main characters have reached their final destination at last. Unfortunately, they're both about to experience a load of heartbreak, but that's how it goes. I am hoping with everything I know how to hope with that I will be finished with this draft in another 10k words. And then I can hand it over to my beta readers and relax with writing Holyoak Five while they tear Grave to pieces for me.

That was my month. Not much else happened to me. I've been pretty isolated what with not using Tumblr or Facebook. (That's right! I stayed true to my drastic goals and haven't used those at all.) But it's a productive kind of isolation. And it's such a relief to have the end of this draft in sight that I don't mind not having achieved much of anything else this month...


For the curious, here are the books I read this month broken into genres.

Young Adult (mostly fantasy):
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray
The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson

Middle Grade :
The Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Non-fiction:
Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg

Horror:
Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
The Girl Who Love Tom Gordon by Stephen King

Comics:
The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
The Best of Foxtrot by Bill Amend



Bring on May! I'm ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment