Monday, June 30, 2014

Musing Monday: The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic




Musing Mondays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Just muse about one of the following each week:

Describe one of your reading habits.
Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

On GoodReads

 So last week I had a job interview. It went well, but I also left with the unfortunate feeling that they were really looking for someone with more experience. Feeling a bit low, I hightailed it over to my local library so I could bask in the glow of book-y goodness.

I ended up checking out three books. I already finished The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - which I thoroughly enjoyed although I'm not sure I feel compelled to read the rest of the series. And now I'm reading The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker.

I picked this one off the shelf because of... you guessed it. The title. It's so intriguing! It sounds exactly like the kind of fantasy I'd enjoy.

The book starts out with an erstwhile English grad student, Nora. The man who just broke her heart is now engaged to someone else. Her dissertation is going nowhere and her adviser is increasingly annoyed with her. And she's been invited to a friend's wedding that she doesn't really want to go to... She goes - and ends up wandering into another world.

Soon she's entrenched in a world of fairy-like people who seek to use her for their own devices. She manages to break free and seeks out a magician who might be able to help her..?

That's as far as I've gotten. So far, I'm loving this book. The language is superb. The fantasy world is deliciously dream-like. And for the most part Nora is a sympathetic main character without being too whiny. It's easy to see myself in her, and I always enjoy that in a story where we shift from reality to fantasy and back again.

I'll give my full opinion when I've finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment