Monday, May 5, 2014

Musing Monday: I am a messy reader.

 I enjoy the memes found at Should Be Reading so you might start seeing more of these...




Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…

• Describe one of your reading habits. 
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s). 
 • What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!   
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.  
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us! 
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

This week, I'll be musing about one of my reading habits. Mostly because this is my blog and I like talking about myself. Surprise! Because there might describe more of these in weeks (and months and years) to come, I will number them.

Reading Habit #1 

I am a messy reader. If you looked at any of my books, you'd be terrified to lend me yours. I highlight and underline favorite passages. I write my name in Sharpie inside the cover. I doodle character names on the edges of the closed pages. When I put down a paperback I'm reading, I often break the spine. I dogear pages I want to come back to. And I really like to read while I'm eating so... Coffee or salsa stains on the pages are not out of the question. 

I adore my books. But I don't worship them. In my mind, copies can always be replaced. I'd rather cuddle them (I often sleep with the book I'm reading under my pillow) and maybe bend the cover a bit then always be worrying about my paperback looking pristine. Besides, I frequent used bookstores the way some girls frequent the mall. So if my duct-taped copy of The Dragon Reborn is starting to lose pages, I know where to go to get a new one without breaking my piggy bank. 

...all that being said, I really try hard to be nice to books that people lend me. And whenever I read a hardcover, I leave the jacket on the shelf because I know otherwise I'll rip it somehow.

I'm afraid I never left my teenage bookworm habits behind... Anyone else out there a messy reader?

3 comments:

  1. I am the complete opposite!! I think I get overly possessive of my copies. I don't write in them, I try to keep them looking new, and I pains me when I ruin a copy. The only ones I am less careful with are mass-market paperbacks!

    Heres my musing!
    http://eatupmyfreetime.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/musing-mondays-may-5/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I'd much rather see a book that looked as though it had been well used and well loved by a reader, than a pristine book sitting untouched on a shelf.
    (And--welcome to Monday Musings--it's a lot of fun over at Miz B's!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I also see my "messy" books as a badges of how much I love them.

      Thanks for the welcome. I am extremely happy to have found Miz B's.

      Delete